NOTE: YouTube support has been discontinued, see the corresponding article for details.
NOTE: this is a preview release, it might not work everywhere with all configurations because just minimal testing was done
NOTE: don’t use this when you have the media library enabled, your WDTV will scan forever because it searches for every keyword
It took longer than expected, but here is finally a preview release for the YouTube support for the WDTV. It has not all features I wanted for the first release and a few bugs probably remain. Here is the rundown of features:
- supports search for videos
- supports the Most Viewed and Top Rated videos of today, this week, this month and all time
- supports Recently Featured videos
- supports top rated videos in categories
- plays back the highest available resolution, for most this is 640×480 pixels, but for newer videos this is 720p HDTV
- use keyboard screen to enter search characters
Hints for the search: “>” means execute search and “_” is the space character.
- some queries might not work because of special characters in the result’s movie titles
Search will be a little slow in the beginning because the cache on the proxy server needs to fill up first and there is also extensive logging going on to track performance issues. Expect do wait about 10 seconds for a directory listing and about 10-15 seconds before the video starts.
The release is available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/wdtvtools/files/wdtube/youtube-r249-wdtv.zip/download. As usual just extract all files to your USB stick.